GFWC MI EDUCATION FOUNDATION FACT SHEET
WHAT IS AN EDUCATION FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP?
This program began in 1985 and was endowed in 1988. These scholarships are funded only by GFWC MI members and clubs, and therefore, are only available to GFWC MI members.
As continuing education is the key to knowledge, these life-long learning scholarships are available to club women for the following purposes:
- To encourage GFWC MI women to pursue the on-going adventure of learning
- To encourage GFWC MI women to re-train or enter new career fields
- To encourage the development or enhancement of career skills
- To encourage the attendance of volunteer or career related seminars, workshops, or conferences
- To assist women to discover, recognize and develop latent skills, abilities, and talents
- To encourage GFWC MI women to resume interrupted academic work and/or update course work
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE A SCHOLARSHIP?
GFWC MI members in good standing for at least one year and who are active in their club and community. Recipients are expected to show how receiving the scholarship would help them give back to the club, their family, and the community. [Ability to pay is not a consideration.]
HOW ARE THE SCHOLARSHIPS FUNDED?
The Foundation raffles a basket of Michigan products at the State Convention. Clubs and individuals contribute to the basket and also directly to the Foundation.
The Foundation has a Commemorative Book. Pages in this book require a minimum contribution of $100.
Gifts of $25-99 entitles the donor to an entry on the District
Page in the Foundation's Commemorative Book. Gifts to the book go into the endowment fund. Interest from the endowment and gifts made directly into the general fund provide each year’s allotment for scholarships.
HOW MUCH MONEY CAN ONE GET ?
It depends on how much money is available each year and how many people apply. [One can get more than one scholarship, but not in the same fiscal year.]
HOW IS THE MONEY ALLOCATED?
Half of the money is divided equally among the seven districts and half Is prorated by the number of members in each district. (In April, unused funds from all seven districts are pooled and available for all eligible applicants throughout the state.)
GO TO DOWNLOADS FOR
APPLICATION & DONATION FORMS